For woodworking enthusiasts, attending conventions is a great way to improve skills, gain inspiration, and meet like-minded individuals. In 2016, there were several woodworking conventions that took place across the United States. If you are a beginner or simply considering attending a woodworking convention, this guide will help you understand what to expect and how to make the most of your experience.
What are Woodworking Conventions?
Woodworking conventions are events where woodworkers of all skill levels gather to learn, network, and showcase their work. These events often include workshops, demonstrations, and exhibits where attendees can view and purchase woodworking materials and tools. Woodworking conventions also provide a great opportunity for beginners to learn from experienced woodworkers and discover new techniques and methods of the trade.
Why Attend Woodworking Conventions?
Attending woodworking conventions offers several benefits for beginners:
- Learning opportunities: Conventions offer workshops and demonstrations which are perfect opportunities to learn new techniques and improve skills.
- Networking: Woodworking conventions bring together people from all over the world with a shared interest, giving attendees the opportunity to connect with others who share a passion for woodworking.
- Inspiration: Viewing exhibits and demonstrations can inspire creativity and generate new ideas for woodworking projects.
- Product exploration: Attendees can view and test out new woodworking tools, products, and materials that they may not have known about otherwise.
Top Woodworking Conventions of 2016
The following are some of the top woodworking conventions that took place in the United States in 2016:
1. International Woodworking Fair (IWF)
The International Woodworking Fair is one of the largest woodworking conventions in the world, with over 1,000 exhibitors from around the globe. The convention features workshops and demonstrations from industry leaders as well as exhibitors showcasing woodworking materials, machinery, and tools. The next IWF convention will take place in 2020.
2. AWFS Fair
The Association of Woodworking & Furnishings Suppliers (AWFS) fair is one of the largest woodworking conventions in North America. The fair offers a variety of educational sessions, workshops, and exhibits showcasing the latest tools and equipment in the industry. The next AWFS fair will take place in 2021.
3. Woodworking in America
Woodworking in America offers a more intimate convention experience with workshops and seminars designed for woodworkers of all skill levels. The convention offers attendees an opportunity to learn from experts in the field and network with other woodworkers. The next Woodworking in America convention has yet to be announced.
Tips for Attending Woodworking Conventions
Here are some tips to help you make the most of your woodworking convention experience:
- Plan ahead: Review the convention schedule and plan which workshops and exhibits to attend ahead of time to ensure you don’t miss out on anything.
- Take notes: Bring a notepad and pen to take notes during workshops and demonstrations.
- Talk to fellow attendees: Don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation with other attendees to network and exchange ideas.
- Ask Questions: If you see something you don’t understand, don’t hesitate to ask questions of the presenter, exhibitor, or fellow attendee.
- Bring a camera: Take photos of interesting woodworking projects, tools, and products. These can serve as inspiration or reference material for future woodworking projects.
Attending woodworking conventions is an excellent way for beginners to improve their skills, gain inspiration, and connect with fellow woodworkers. Woodworking conventions offer a wealth of knowledge, networking opportunities, and inspiration that can help take your woodworking to the next level. Use the tips in this guide to make the most of your woodworking convention experience!